This is layered over an attempt that was quite good - till I wrecked it. I then glued watercolor paper onto the canvas and started over. Low and behold, I got careless and the lower right black connection to the bottom of the page was insanely overdone. I almost ditched this second version, but instead, found usable collage papers and cut them to cover larger areas of intricate black designs. This calmed it down. If collage is involved in a painting, the artist must spray it with an archival spray to protect the papers from fading. Done. This triggered an ideas for a new series, Birds of North Carolina.
"Zelda" Prints available
I was very proud of this endeavor and couldn't let go of the original for years. One of the coolest aspects of "Zelda" is that on the original, I used horse hair to create the mane and tail, which popped up over the mat. Eventually, I did let it go - I had new favorite!
"Pepe in Basket" Prints available
Pepe is my sister's cat. There was a basket atop her kitchen cupboards and I noticed her adorable Pepe gazing down at me from within it, apparently wondering who the heck I was and what was I doing in their kitchen?! I snapped a phone photo and did this Alla Prima (wet-on-wet) painting over a drizzled acrylic drawing. Very loose and spontaneous results. My sister owns it, of course.
I was very untrained and hadn't painted in years but wanted to give a gift to a loved one. I did this collage of the the iconic Witch Tree on the shore of Lake Superior. Silly me, I didn't know how to paint clouds, so I shredded cotton thinly and glued it on. I didn't know how to create movement on the water, so I glued painted cheesecloth strings onto it, and finally, I attached light colored seed beads to create light on the rocks. I had no idea I was creating my first multi-media painting! Funny, I can barely do a painting without adding something from my collage and junk drawers now.
One of my first attempts at an abstract had to be called "Obnoxious". I enjoyed creating it but had a love/hate relationship with it once finished. I ended up cutting it into eight small pieces in two small frames with four mat openings each. Now it is just loud.
"All the Lonely People"
This painting has two titles. It was originally done as part of a Holocaust series. I visited Dachau in Germany and felt emotionally numb while there, but when I got home, I fell apart. My mentor suggested I throw black acrylic paint at a sheet of paper on an easel. I did. Then she said, "Find the painting in it." What?! But it happened, and I called it "Midnight Roundup". If you look closely you will see part of a Jewish star on one person's sleeve. But the title and subject being so very bleak, I renamed it, "All the Lonely People" - still dark, but not hopeless.
A traveling friend took a photo of this quaint corner in Croatia. I have painted it three times: twice in multi media beginning with a watercolor foundation, and most recently this version in acrylic. My first acrylic version, was so bright, it was put to rest under this one. 'Almost gave up a few more times, but I am quite fond of it now.
This painting was the first one I did after returning from Dachau. It was twice as big originally, and way too busy, so I ripped sections off the ends and burned the edges as well as the hole in the middle. I had seen a ghostly figure in an enlarged newspaper clipping within the concentration camp museum and tried to recreate it.